[MOBTS-L] Lead for the Planet--A New Book (and Course) on Confronting Climate Change

Andre, Rae r.andre at northeastern.edu
Mon Oct 26 06:57:19 MDT 2020

Dear friends,

When these troubled times settle out, hopefully very soon, I hope you will feel energized and emboldened to innovate in your classroom.  Please consider teaching climate leadership!

I have developed a package of three classroom-tested resources that you can build on.

1) A short, interdisciplinary trade book just published by the University of Toronto Press: Lead for the Planet: Five Practices for Confronting Climate Change<https://utorontopress.com/us/lead-for-the-planet-2>. Not a textbook, it is designed to spark conversations. Here's a pre-review.

“The book takes the reader by the hand and clears the way through the thorny and political field of climate change with grace and intelligence. With simple and clear language, the book confronts what is seen as a complex and overwhelming problem. The beauty of the book is making strong climate actions obvious by unpacking five practices – seek the truth, evaluate the risk, weight the decision, take a leadership role, and act collectively – that after Rae André’s clarifications are no-brainers. The great achievement of the book is making it so obvious and clear to act on climate change, and the message is clear: only collective informed decisions can save us now. It is a tiresome trope, but I write it anyway: this book, really, should be obligatory reading for every high-school and university student. Honestly, human civilization depends on it.”

Daniel Nyberg, University of Newcastle

2) An article that reviews the rationale, materials, and student reviews of Beta, an online course on sustainability and leadership that aligns with the book:  (2020) Teaching Climate Leadership: Promoting Integrative Learning in Courses on Strong Sustainability. Journal of Management Education Special Issue in Sustainability in Management Education. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1052562920941547

3) The Lead for the Planet Teaching Handbook: Exercises, Media, Projects and More. Free PDF, just contact me.

Details here: www.raeandre.com<http://www.raeandre.com/>.

Stay safe, stay sane, stay home.

Warm regards to you and yours,
Rae

Rae André, Professor Emeritus, D'Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University

<https://www.raeandre.com/blog>
<http://www.raeandre.com/>

   <https://www.book2look.com/book/XLbAT6N9Es>      ​
[cid:c084eff0-ac3d-4347-92c3-175bd6e9dc21]

BLOG Climate Leadership Now<https://www.raeandre.com/blog>
Rae André - Climate Leadership Now<https://www.raeandre.com/blog>
I am thrilled that Lead for the Planet is the first book published under Aevo, the new trade imprint of the University of Toronto Press. And to see that their first offerings include several that address the climate crisis! In Solved: How the World's Great Cities Are Fixing the Climate Crisis, David Miller shares his expertise as the former mayor of Toronto and an international climate expert.
www.raeandre.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/raeandr%C3%A9/
https://www.facebook.com/rae.andre.1