MOBTS Oceania Call for Papers
January 31 to February 2, 2023
Hosted at University of New South Wales | Sydney, Australia
Submission Deadline: Monday, October 10th | In-Person, Hybrid, and Virtual Submission Options Available!
Calling all management educators and learning designers throughout Oceania - new ideas for your classroom await!
MOBTS is a premier global experiential learning society and conference, now entering its 50th year, focusing on enhancing teaching and learning across the management disciplines. The MOBTS Oceania conference will bring together management educators across the Oceania region (those beyond the region are also welcome to join!) to share our experiences of best practices, learn from each other, and build learning networks for today and into the future. Our 2023 Oceania conference will be hosted at University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia – following a successful inaugural virtual conference in 2021 and our International MOBTS 2020 in Christchurch, New Zealand.
MOBTS Oceania provides a unique opportunity to discuss the challenges, opportunities, and innovations as they pertain to management and organisational behaviour teaching in our region. There is a themed track ‘influencing’ (refer below), but, we welcome all interactive and experiential sessions that share insights into effective teaching practices and the experience of life as an Oceania management educator. We are as interested in what works and what does not work, as learning from failure in our view is part of the lived experience of the lifelong journey of an educator. We hope to engage in courageous conversations where we benefit from exploring difficulties as part of a supportive community of educators committed to the advancement of our practice. Of course, we also delight in celebrating our successes and recognise the opportunities that arise from our influential role in working towards an inclusive and sustainable regional future.
We very much welcome a variety of proposals including:
- Experiential Exercises
- Professional Development Workshops
- Roundtable/Breakout Room Discussions
- Case Studies
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Research
- Both full papers and extended abstracts
MOBTS intends on providing some form of hybrid conferencing moving forward to enable those that are not able to physically join us to participate in the conference. This includes both presenting and attendance. The entire conference will not be hybrid but rather a select portion of it. Your session can be submitted as any of the three following formats:
- In-Person Only: This means that you will only be engaging in your session with people physically at the conference.
- Hybrid: This means that you will be presenting your session in-person, but also allow for simultaneous online engagement.
- Virtual: This means that you will be presenting your session virtually while also engaging with others that are both virtual and physically present at the conference.
Selecting Hybrid does not guarantee that your session will indeed be programmed as such as we are seeking to provide a slimmer hybrid/virtual program than the general program itself.
Themed track - “Influence”
Learning and teaching do not happen in isolation. This themed track welcomes a variety of submission formats that explore what influences teaching and learning, and how our practice influences other domains. Potential areas for exploration include:
- Influence of COVID/post-COVID on management teaching and learning
- Influence of regional regulatory/environmental factors on teaching practice
- The influence of teaching on student’s professional and personal lives
- Interdisciplinary influences in contemporary management teaching
It is not a requirement that submissions align with this themed track, general submissions are welcome. We do not wish to be prescriptive in saying what you should submit to the conference.
About MOBTS Oceania: A Community of Management Educators
The MOBTS Oceania group emerged from the energy and enthusiasm fostered during the 2020 MOBTS International Conference in Christchurch, New Zealand. During this conference, many ideas, teaching innovations, and challenges were shared amongst educators in this region. MOBTS Oceania harnessed this energy by creating a dedicated group focused on bringing the spirit of MOBTS to the region, fostering teaching innovations in the management domain, and come together as educators. We hosted our inaugural conference virtually in January 2021 and look forward to continuing to build this vibrant community.
The group’s members are:
- Kevin Lo (Chair, University of San Francisco, MOBTS President)
- Brandon Charpied (MOBTS Executive Director)
- Patricia Hubbard (Gallup, Auckland)
- Stuart Middleton (University of Queensland)
- Bronte Van Der Hoorn
- Janis Wardrop (University of New South Wales)
- Sarah Wright (University of Canterbury)
Please direct inquiries to MOBTS Oceania at firstname.lastname@example.org